It’s the holidays and that means it’s time to pull out the Christmas classics, or my twist on them at least.
Rum balls are a true Christmas stalwart, but I like to change them up into these intensely fudgy but not-too-sweet chocolate-coated truffles, infused with vanilla and bourbon, for no other reason that I just like the flavour better than traditional rum.
Hedonistically rich, these dark chocolate and vanilla bourbon truffles are a firm favourite in our household every Christmas, and the best part is, there is no need to bake! They take only 30 minutes of prep time to whip up (store-bought mud cake makes this recipe a snap) and enjoy as-is, or bathed up for the perfect edible gift.
Enjoy with gusto,
Dark Chocolate and Vanilla Bourbon Truffles
- 750 grams chocolate mud cake
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup bourbon whisky
- 180 grams dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the milk chocolate drizzle
- 50 grams milk chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Break the cake up into chunks and place in a food processor or stand mixer with the vanilla extract and bourbon. Combine on a low speed for 2-3 minutes, until a soft, wet mixture forms.
- Next, line a baking tray with parchment paper. Taking approximately a tablespoon at a time, roll the mixture into balls and place on the tray. Repeat until all the dough has been used, you should end up with approximately 48 balls. Place the tray in the fridge and allow to chill while you prepare the chocolate for the coating.
- To prepare the chocolate coating, place the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl and melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between until the chocolate is smooth and silky.
- Take the chilled balls from the refrigerator and using two spoons, gently dip the balls one by one in the chocolate and turn to ensure they are thoroughly coated before placing them back on the parchment paper lined tray. Once all the balls have been coated, place them back in the refrigerator to chill and set for 1-2 hours.
- After the truffles have set, prepare the milk chocolate drizzle by placing the chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl and melting in the microwave in 30 second intervals until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the chilled truffle balls from the refrigerator and using a spoon, drizzle the melted milk chocolate over the top in a zig zag pattern. Return the truffles to chill for a further 1-2 hours to set before serving.