This breakfast of everything bagels with smoked trout, pickled radish and wasabi cream cheese is sure to satisfy a million of your cravings, all on one hit.
It’s both light and moreish all at once, with a pleasantly sour zing met with a flavourful creaminess that’s sure to please your tastebuds.
The combination of smoked ocean trout (salmon would work just as well), cream cheese with a lick of wasabi, pickled radish and poppy caper berries is truly delicious…. and everything bagels really are everything.
Oh, taking the time taken to make your own pickled radish is totally worth it.
Enjoy with gusto,
Everything Bagels with Smoked Trout, Pickled Radish and Wasabi Cream Cheese
For the pickled radish
- 1 bunch radishes stems removed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the bagels
- 4 Everything bagels
- 125 grams cream cheese room temperature
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste (see note)
- 1 avocado sliced
- 200 grams smoked ocean trout sliced
- 12 caper berries
- 2-3 spring onions sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Black and white sesame seeds for garnish
- First, make the pickled radishes (see note). Using a mandolin slicer, slice the radishes into rounds, approximately 2mm-3mm thick and place the slices into a clean/sterilised 400ml-500ml jar, with the peppercorns, mustard seeds and bay leaves scattered throughout.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, water and salt. Stir over a high heat until the sugar and salt has dissolved, then remove from the heat. Pour the pickling mixture over the sliced radishes in the jar and allow to cool and settle for at least one hour before using.
- Next, prepare the bagels by slicing each in half lengthways and lightly toasting. Meanwhile, mix the cream cheese together with the wasabi paste.
- Once the bagels have toasted, spread the wasabi cream cheese in a generous layer on the flat side of the toasted bagels. Assemble the bagel by topping with slices of avocado, and ribbons of smoked trout before topping generously with some pickled radish.
- Finish the bagel off by scattering with the caper berries and spring onions, and freshen it all up with a squeeze of fresh lime. Garnish with the sesame seeds and serve immediately.