Ready to get your whole house smelling like Christmas?
These super soft donuts carry the same deep, gingery, molassesey flavour of the cookies we all know and love, and a soaked with a beautiful spiced liquid eggnog drizzle that adds incredible moisture to the texture and sweetness to the flavour.
The perfect festive dessert (or treat with your morning coffee), these will become your new favourite…. and if you’re sharing with the kids, just omit the rum from the glaze.
Enjoy with gusto,
Gingerbread Donuts with Eggnog Glaze
For the gingerbread donuts
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the glaze
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- ¼ cup eggnog
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum optional
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease 2 x 6 cup donut pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, molasses, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Using a piping bag (see note), pour the batter into the donut tins.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Set the donuts aside, and allow to cool before removing from the tin.
- To make the glaze, whisk the eggnog and rum into the powdered sugar. Add more eggnog or sugar until the mixture is at your desired consistency.
- Once cooled, dip the tops of the donuts into the glaze before turning on to a rack to set. Serve immediately and enjoy!
You can use a spoon if you don’t have a piping bag (a clip-seal bag with a corner cut off works well too), it just might be a little messier and not as even distribution.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below, tag @jaimie.eats on Instagram and hashtag it #jaimieeats.