It’s no secret that I love pairing fruit with savoury flavours. I’m not sure why I have such a penchant for it, as you will rarely find me eating fruit on its own. Perhaps its just my way of enjoying beautiful, seasonal produce beyond dessert.
Enter this grilled whole barramundi with pineapple salsa. This fresh and light dish is seasoned with just the right balance of sweet and spicy flavour, and is a mouth-tingling crowd pleaser. Its super easy preparation equates to elegant serving with a delightful splash of colour, and cooking it over fire just allows for an extra level of punchy flavour.
The pineapple salsa with fennel, a touch of spice and a fun splash of lime and tequila goes so well with the tender, flaky flesh of the spicy Sriracha-dosed barramundi. Snapper or cod would also be a perfect fish selection for this dish – any white fleshed fish that flakes apart easily when cooked will furnish a good result.
If you want my biggest tip when preparing this dish: double the salsa portion of the recipe. This tequila pineapple salsa is perfect on so many things, like steak, beef burgers, tacos and even pulled pork. It will last a few days in the fridge, so make some extra and take advantage of it while you have it.
Enjoy with gusto,
Grilled Sriracha Barramundi with Tequila Pineapple Salsa and Fennel
For the fish
- 2 whole barramundi cleaned and scaled, approx 600g each
- 4 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 limes sliced into rounds
- ½ fennel bulb finely sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil for drizzling
For the salsa
- 1 pineapple peeled, cored and diced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- ½ fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup shaved coconut
- Fresh lime halves grilled
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Prepare barbecue or grill for direct grilling over high heat. Brush and oil the grill grate.
- Using a very sharp knife, slash the fish on both sides on an angle at 1 inch intervals, being careful not to cut the flesh too deep.
- Place the fish on a tray and then rub all over and inside the cavity with the Sriracha. Stuff the cavity with the lime slices and fennel, and season well with salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil, then arrange the fish on the grill directly over the flame/heat. Grill, turning carefully only once, until charred and cooked through (approximately 7 minutes each side). Transfer the fish to serving plates or a platter and keep warm.
- While the fish cooks, prepare the Tequila Pineapple Salsa. Combine all ingredients (except the coconut) in a bowl and season to taste.
- Pile the salsa alongside the grilled fish and scatter the shaved coconut on top. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and garnish with grilled lime halves and fresh mint. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below, tag @jaimie.eats on Instagram and hashtag it #jaimieeats.