It’s no secret that I am a massive fan of adding fruit to salad, and I must say that this peach and prosciutto salad is amazing!
Soft, sweet peached balance beautifully with the salty prosciutto, while the creamy goat’s cheese pairs beautifully with the bold flavours of the pickled fennel and the crunch of golden macadamias.
The pickled fennel element of this dish is a bit of a ‘cheats’ recipe… that is, there is no waiting and you can have it ready in a snap! Despite its simplicity, it is gently spiced, and adds another fresh yet delicate element of crunch and tang to a dish that already hosts so many incredible flavours.
Both elegant and bold, this salad is perfect for a summer barbecue or as a starter at your next dinner party. Definitely one for the ages.
Enjoy with gusto,
Peach, Prosciutto and Goat’s Cheese Salad with Pickled Fennel and Macadamias
For the pickled fennel
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 dried chilli
- 1 bulb fennel finely sliced (see note)
For the salad
- 6 yellow peaches stone removed, sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sourdough bread sliced
- 200 grams goat's cheese cubed
- 200 grams prosciutto thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint loosely packed
- ⅓ cup macadamias roughly chopped and toasted
- ¼ cup za'atar (see note)
- A few hours (to a few days) before serving, pickle the fennel. To make the pickling liquor, place the vinegar, salt, water, sugar, spices and chilli in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, leaving to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- While the liquid is cooling, pack the fennel into a sterilised jar, until it is about half full. Once the pickling liquor reaches room temperature, pour it over the fennel, ensuring all the fennel is covered. Pack down if necessary. Set aside until you are ready to prepare and assemble the salad (see note).
- To prepare the salad, heat a barbecue or skillet over high heat. Brush the peach wedges with half the oil and cook for about 1 minute on each side, or until nicely scorched. Remove the peaches from the heat and set aside.
- Next, brush the sourdough slices with the remaining oil on both sides, and place onto the skillet or grill. Cook for 2 minutes each side until charred and lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad in individual bowls by layering the sourdough slices with the scorched peach wedges, goat’s cheese, torn slices of prosciutto and generous amounts of the pickled fennel.
- Finally, scatter the toasted macadamia nuts throughout and garnish with mint leaves and a sprinkling of za’atar. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and freshly ground black pepper before serving. Enjoy!