A couple of years ago, I was gifted a fairly basic ice cream churner, and to be honest, I haven’t purchased a commercial tub of ice cream since. It’s really awesome because it screams convenience; you can throw your ingredients in and walk away while it stays cold enough to churn the ice cream long enough until it’s ready to indulge.
So because it’s Christmas, I am here to share my whole chocolate and candy cane ice ream recipe with you.
I love this ice cream because the creaminess is of the charts, and it is so incredibly smooth. Normally I base my ice cream out with icing sugar and milk, but for this instalment, thought I would skip the sugar and try my hand at condensed milk instead. Totally worth it.
So whether you are enjoying Christmas snowed in in the northern hemisphere, or melting with us here in the tropics, this festive frozen treat is perfect for everyone.
Enjoy with gusto,
White Chocolate Candy Cane Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Ganache
For the ice cream
- 170 grams white chocolate broken into chunks
- 395 millilitres sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 12 crushed peppermint candy canes (plus extra for garnish)
For the ganache
- 170 grams dark chocolate broken into chunks
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
For serving (optional)
- 8 Waffle cones
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate
- 3 peppermint candy canes crushed
- Place the white chocolate and condensed milk in a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave on high for 15 second increments, stirring in between, until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is of a smooth consistency. Be careful not to overheat. Place mixture in fridge to chill, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure a smooth consistency.
- Once chilled, remove mixture from fridge and add whipping cream and peppermint extract. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and allow to churn (following manufacturer’s instructions) until thickened and at a soft serve consistency (approximately 45 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prepare the ganache. In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chunks and heavy cream. Heat in the microwave on high for 15 second increments, stirring in between, until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy. Stir well and set aside, allow to cool to room temperature.
- Return to the ice cream and add the candy cane chunks and drizzle in ¾ of the ganache, allowing it to churn only enough to swirl through – not completely mix into the base.
- Remove the mixture from the ice cream maker and pour into a lined loaf tin. Drizzle the remaining ganache over the top of the ice cream and sprinkle the remaining crushed candy canes across the top. Return to the freezer until ready to serve.
- To serve, melt the remaining dark chocolate chunks in a small bowl by heating in the microwave on high in 15 second increments, stirring between until it is of a smooth consistency.
- Dip the rim of each waffle cone in the chocolate and place on a parchment-lined sheet tray to set. Place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes until the chocolate is set.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, remove cones from the refrigerator and fill with 2-3 scoops of the ice cream. Eat immediately and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below, tag @jaimie.eats on Instagram and hashtag it #jaimieeats.